Image Map

Sunday, October 19, 2014

South Dakota Reflections

As it is our last Sunday here in South Dakota, I'm finding it hard to say good-bye.  While we have only been here for a few short years {2, to be exact}, those years have been deep and rich. Deep and rich in relationships, love and care.  I would call our stint in SD one of great stability. Let me rewind a bit for you.

When we were preparing to leave Illinois, God spoke to Chad during worship.  The jist of the message was "your family isn't perfect, but there is a lot of stability there."  He then had a picture of a tree with deep roots.  {Back up more here - Chad's family is here, so essentially our move here was a move "home" for him.}

That picture has been so spot on as I reflect back on our time here.  Stability.  Something I needed. Something our family needed. Something I wanted, but didn't know how to get.  See, when Chad was traveling with his Illinois job, that was unstable.  When would he be gone?  For how long?  How would the kids and I do solo?  It was tough.  I would even go so far as to say I was emotionally, mentally and physically unstable at that time. As a result, the kids were too.


Moving here, stabilized us.  We discovered Lauren's sensory challenges and food allergies. She stabilized.  God gave Chad and I an awesome mentor couple to come alongside us and help work through some of the kinks in our past that were affecting our marriage and family.  We stabilized as individuals, and as a couple.  Ya know what happened then?  Our family stabilized too. My mentor and dear dear friend said "when you get well, your kids get well."  She was spot on. We have gotten well and our kids have too.

I can't say enough about our church family. They are amazing people who are real, who love God and are welcoming, loving and embracing.  I knew it was "home" the minute we walked in the door in late December. Thank you, Sioux Falls First for investing in people for the Kingdom.  We love you!  It's been a great, deep, rich ride South Dakota! Your state motto rings true ~ "Great Places, Great Faces."  I would add Great People, too! Thank you!



No comments :

Post a Comment