Image Map

Monday, October 13, 2014

His Ways ARE Higher Than Our Ways....Lessons Learned & Staying Sane

While we were on our journey, I told a friend we had been in this "waiting season," for 9 months. Her reply was "perhaps it is a type of gestation period," a birth of some sorts.  Interesting thought. Actually, out of curiosity, more than anything, I googled the number of weeks it was from when we learned the news and decided to look elsewhere to the day Chad got the offer.  Any takers on amount of time?  Um, 40 weeks and 3 days.  HELLO GESTATION PERIOD.

The other interesting thing that happened during the last "trimester," if you will is prophetic words spoken over us while we were in Illinois were starting to make sense. In fact, one night, Chad and I both remembered the same word and shared how Purdue made sense with that word.  Things spoken over us 4 years ago were coming to pass.

Moving to South Dakota was instrumental for us.  Chad and I healed in many ways.  We were healed of things we didn't even know needed healing.  God did a mighty work in us during our short time here.  I believe that is why we came here, because God had a greater purpose for us.  His ways are higher than ours, remember?  We are leaving here whole and secure in who Christ made us to be.  If we hadn't gone through that healing journey here, we wouldn't have been able to do what we have been doing the past 40 weeks.  Prior to this, the unknown, uncertainty, living in a tiny apartment, etc. would have given me either a panic attack or a heart attack!  But not now!  I am changed.  I am healed.  I am whole.

What I find the most interesting is that when Chad applied at Purdue seven years ago, I really, really, really wanted to be there.  Our pastor at the time said "you have no idea how good life could be if you would let that go."  I did let it go and decided I didn't really want to go back.  I was fine being away. Not that I didn't like it there, not that I don't love my family, but there are things from childhood that have happened there that are hard.  Sometimes life is hard.  Sometimes, things happen that hurt. Some experiences leave you wounded.  But, you can't run away from them.  {Yes, I would like to, ok?}   Sometimes, the best thing to do is walk into them, holding Daddy's hand.  As Pappaohey Island says "do it afraid."  So, I'm doing it afraid, because I believe God has a great plan for our lives. He is the God who restores, heals, and mends the broken hearted.

The other cool thing about God is that the whole time this was going on, I just desperately wanted to know where we were going.  However, looking back, if I would have known we were going to Purdue this whole time, I wouldn't have been ready or likely willing to go.  It took us going through this gestation period to be ready to go.  To trust it was God's plan for us.  The other cool thing about God's timing is that I can now see I wasn't ready to go back to Indiana 7 years ago.  But, I am now.   So, let's do this!

While I am nervous, I am excited for the great plans God has for us in Indiana.  I have no idea what they are, but I know they are going to be wild, they are going to be great, they are going to be full of Him.  {Jesus Culture.}  Thank you, for being a good God to us.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how I stayed sane during this journey, especially since I was asked that question on facebook :)  So, here are some ways I stayed sane on this long journey:

1. I had daily devotions.  I would wake up at 5:30 before the family to read, pray and spend time with Jesus.  This is vital!


2. I was consistent with my food intake and exercise.  This was another benefit to being up so early - I got my exercise in before people needed me :)  {In the beginning, Turbo Fire was great for getting some aggression out, however, now I'm doing PiYo.  It keeps me grounded and I'm tired, LOL!}  I am so thankful for the 21 Day Fix I did in February.  It ended my vicious cycle of stress eating!  I was a stress eater, so I'm sure I would have been bigger than a barn had I not done the Fix in February.  It truly changed my life.  Perhaps it was a control thing - I was able to control something? Either way, I am thankful I was able to stay on track with my nutrition and exercising because of what I learned doing the 21 Day Fix.  

3. I had regular massages.  I took care of myself.  Some people call it a luxury, I politely disagree....for me, it is self care.  I did get pedicures too, I will call those a luxury :)


4. I continued to meet with people who encouraged me in the journey.  With everything going on, it was easy to be down, so it was important to meet with people who could lift me up.  SO SO SO thankful for my church family at Sioux Falls First!  I continued to go to Bible study, and of course, we continued to go to church as well.


While I could not control my situation, I could control myself.  That was the only thing I had control of!  I guess to sum it up, I took care of myself ~ spiritually, emotionally, physically, mentally and socially.  This is something I am passionate about, so let me know if I can help you take care or yourself, too. 

No comments :

Post a Comment