Image Map

Sunday, October 12, 2014

His Ways ARE Higher Than Our Ways....Part 5

So, of course things had changed for us!  Out of sheer desperation of not finding a job after almost 9 months of looking, Chad reached out to his contact at Purdue.  {Of course, earlier in the week, I had noticed a posting there and prompted him to reach out.  Not really because I wanted to be there anymore, but because it looked like a good job, we knew people there and at this point, it wouldn't be terrible to be there.  Remember, we have been in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment as a family of 4, while homeschooling!}

They had a nice chat and she told him more about the role, as well as some other opportunities he could look into.  Some at Purdue, some with other contacts she had elsewhere as well.  The job they discussed that he would be the best fit for happened to be closing in a few days, so he needed to apply quickly, if he was going to.  Reluctantly, we applied for it.  {Not because it was Purdue, but because it wasn't what we envisioned.  I elaborate more in tomorrow's post.}

Around that time, I had been having some strange dreams that I believe were from God preparing me and my heart for this move.  Dreams about people and places in my past that had been significant.  It was interesting, yet freeing.  My mentor and I also processed some of these things and some of the feelings I felt surrounding our move.  I felt stupid that we sold our house and moved without knowing where we were going.  I felt let down by God that He hadn't provided a job yet.  I felt frustrated and was really starting to doubt.....

As my mentor and I processed and prayed through these things.  I saw a picture of myself standing in a field of flowers.  They were white and beautiful.  I was free ~ holding my arms open wide.  I was happy.  But, I noticed the flowers were white and I wanted yellow flowers.  It was that day I knew we were going to go to Purdue.  You see, when this journey originally started, I wanted to go somewhere warm, tropical, sunny and with a beach.  Somewhere where we could be outside year round, somewhere where we could have a pool.  You know what I'm saying?  Not the midwest!  And, certainly not that close to "home."

Shortly after the image of the flowers came to mind, I had an outburst of anger during our homeschool day.  So much so that I started stabbing the homeschool book with children's scissors.  I was mad at God for taking us back to Indiana, I was mad that it took this long, I was mad that we weren't in our house, I was mad that I was homeschooling, I was just mad.  At everything.  That outburst was on a Friday afternoon, and wouldn't you know it, that Sunday at church, we had a guest speaker.  He talked about Moses, and how he responded in anger towards the Israelites and as a result, missed part of the blessing God had for him.  Get the picture here?  I am Moses, my children are the disobedient Israelites and I am responding in anger?  It was true of what was going on in the walls of our tiny apartment.  Then, he proceeded to talk about how Moses repented and led his people to a land he didn't want to go go.  WELL.  HELLO!  I understand!  I am Moses and I am going somewhere I don't want to go.  Thank you for the warning!  That Sunday, I knew in my spirit, we were going to Indiana.  While I had felt hopeful about the other jobs Chad had applied for, I could not say I knew we were going there.  This was different.

A few weeks after this, Chad had his interview at Purdue.  Did I mention that it was the same department and the same people he had interviewed with 7 YEARS BEFORE?  Yup.  Truth.  See where this is going?  He had his interview, it went well and we learned it was down to him and 1 other person.  HELLO, it's the same song and dance we have been through this whole time!  He is in the final 2.  We also learned the person who was also interviewing worked there currently and had been there for quite some time.  We knew Purdue liked to promote from within, so when he shared this information with me, I knew if God wanted us there, it would happen.  He interviewed on a Thursday, got home on a Friday.  He was told that they hoped to make a decision by Monday.

Monday came and went.  Nothing.  Discouraging, really.  We had been down this road so many times before, waiting to see where we are going.  Is this the one?  Will this get us started on our new life? It gets depressing after a while, honestly.

Tuesday came and about 1:30 in the afternoon, Chad called, saying he had an offer from Purdue!  I knew it.   We were Boilermaker bound!  I had mixed feelings about it, to be honest.  Thankful it was over.   Relieved we FINALLY knew where we were going.  Happy to be out of limbo.  Sad that the other opportunities didn't work out.  Grateful the other opportunities didn't work out.  Weird about going "home" as an adult.  Not sure what to expect.  Not sure what it would be like to live in the same town as my family.  Just a lot of uncertainty.  And, a lot of sadness about leaving our friends, family and church home here.

LESSONS LEARNED, COMING UP NEXT........

No comments :

Post a Comment