Image Map

Friday, October 10, 2014

His Ways ARE Higher Than Our Ways....Part 3

So, that Monday we had the showing, which was great....both kids at school, a great reason for me to go sit and veg at the coffee shop!  As I pulled into the preschool to pick up Landon at 11:15, my phone rang.  It was the realtor, asking if the couple who saw the house earlier could come back and see the house again.  Sure, I thought.  This will be a great opportunity for Landon and I to go have lunch somewhere before going home.  And, the house is clean!  WHOOT!  We ate our lunch and headed for home.  As I pulled onto our street, I saw they were still there.  An hour later.  Good sign.  I drove around the neighborhood for another 45 MINUTES until they were finished.  I knew then, we were getting an offer.  And, we had nowhere to go.  Great.  Ok, God, another great opportunity to trust you!

Low and behold, we got an offer that day.  Great news!  They wanted to close at the end of June. Perfect!  That gets us through the school year.  We really wanted to be able to finish school well for our kids.  One less pressure - a sold house!  Before, we have always sold AFTER we moved, so it was refreshing to live in a SOLD house while we waited for a job.  Plus, we knew when we moved, we could buy right away, so that was good too!

As time continued to go on, Chad continued to interview.  They were all great interviews, very promising feedback.  If he didn't get the job, they had good reasons for him not being "the one."  We were still hopeful.

School ended, I bawled through kindergarten graduation, knowing we wouldn't be back at that school next year.  It was hard.  I still didn't know where were going, but we had sold our house!  Eek.  Not good for this type A, planning, sequential woman that I am.  But, I was trusting God.  

Summer started, interviews kept going and we still didn't know where we were going.  Chad had an interview in the south that seemed very promising and the timeline was in sync with ours.....we would be out of our house at the end of June, could move in July and be settled in time for school to start.  After 5 LONG months, we were hopeful and excited about this location.

BUT, it didn't come to pass.  Again, they had another good reason that Chad wasn't "the one," yet it didn't line up with what was communicated in the interview.  Seriously?  Grr...talk about feeling led on.

So, the search continued and June came and went......

During this time, it became apparent that we likely weren't going to know where we were going when we moved.  Our hopes of relocation and professional movers were gone.  We had to start packing ourselves.  See, the previous times we have moved, we have had professional movers.  That tends to spoil you - to have a few people come into your house and just pack it all up for you!  Yes, please!  Reality set in that this would not be the case.  Oh well, we started to pack and continued to search.

Our closing was set for June 27, so a few weeks before we decided to check into temporary housing options. Chad's parents were an hour away so we thought perhaps we could live with them for a short while as we waited to hear back on these jobs he had been interviewing across the country for.  We ended up moving in with them on June 25.  

Moving in with in-laws meant all of our things would be in a storage unit because we wouldn't need all of our things, right? That day, I pulled into the driveway and saw storm clouds and heard thunder. I had the last of the things we would need for our short trip with them in the back of our van.  I decided I better unload before it started to rain.  I was unloading fast and furiously to beat the rain and I think I did.  I got everything in the basement.  Phew.  But then I looked outside at the rain.  And, you know what I saw?  Not just a little rain.  A FLOODING rain.  My inlaws backyard looked like we were in a river.  I have never seen anything like it before!  The front yard was just as bad.  Then, you know what started to happen?  Their basement flooded.  Yes, the same basement I had just put our things in.  Oh, and it wasn't just rain.  It was sewage.  Yes, we had just moved into a sewage infested basement. 

Chad was still at work, an hour away, so when I called to explain this to him, he thought I was nuts. It was sunny in Sioux Falls.  He was in the car on the way to his parents, exclaiming that even 10 minutes away, it was dry.  He thought I was exaggerating.  Then, he got into their town.  He tried to turn onto their street and couldn't, as it was covered in water.  He parked about a mile away and hiked through the water with his pants up.  What a sight!

He got into the house, changed clothes and started helping his dad haul things out of the basement. Their fridge and freezer were full of food they didn't want to lose.  Chad was hauling beef to another town to store in a relatives freezer at 10 pm that night and he had to leave at 6 am the next morning to get the cat out of our home we were closing on the next day.  {Yes, I forgot to mention in the midst of our move, our cat was stressed out and started peeing blood in boxes.  Apparently when cats get stressed, it inflames their bottoms and causes them to pee blood...aren't you glad to know this?}  So, stressed out cat was stuck in the rafters of our basement and wouldn't come down the day before when Chad went to get her.  So, we left her there overnight, hoping she would come out the next day, the day of our closing.  Oh, and he also had a skype interview for a job he really wanted the next day. Nice timing, eh?

Long story short, we all got to bed late that night, Chad got up early to drive to Sioux Falls to get the blasted cat down {thankfully she came down and we could leave her with Chad's aunt in town so he didn't have to take her to work for his work day or skype interview}.  His day went well, skype interview went well and we were thankful it was the weekend......

But, our time with his parents didn't last long.....

TO BE CONTINUED.........

1 comment :

  1. I've been waiting to read this so I could get it all at once. How many parts are there?! :)

    ReplyDelete