Image Map

Saturday, November 22, 2014

So, What's Your Crutch?

So, what's your crutch?   Yes, I asked.  What is your go to in times of stress, frustration, sadness, when you need comfort, etc?  




For most of us, it is food.  For others, it can be drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and a variety of other addictions I don't need to lay out here.  Since I haven't struggled with drugs, alcohol, tobacco or anything else {well, maybe the internet ~ facebook?}, I don't feel equipped to speak to those.  But food?  Yes, I can speak on food.

I have very vivid memories of digging for "chunks" in the ice cream container.  So much so that I would eat 3/4 of it at once, as I was obsessed with finding chunks.  I didn't realize I was consuming mass quantities of ice cream while I was doing it, as I was so focused on my "treasure."  It was a way to numb my pain, soothe my heart and calm me down.  Or so I thought.  Funny thing is it actually did quite the opposite.  Years later after abusing my body to binging on a diet of ice cream, frozen burritos, soft pretzels, cheese, pop, and candy, I discovered I'm intolerant to wheat, dairy and corn. Surprise!  Actually, no, it shouldn't surprise me as that was all I was eating.  {If you're curious about the corn...no, I wasn't directly eating corn but there is high fructose corn syrup in most of those foods I was living off of.  So it's a corn by-product.}  Gross.  It actually makes me feel ill to type this.

So, back to you...what's your crutch? What do find yourself doing when you're hurt?  Frustrated? Sad?  Lonely?  Discouraged?  Before you pick up your spoon and carton of ice cream, will you do me a favor?  Ask yourself ~ "why am I eating?  Am I truly hungry or is there something more going on here?"  I think that so many of us are so deeply wounded that we just continue to abuse ourselves, our bodies, our health which affects so many areas of our lives....it affects our minds, our emotions, everything.  So, my encouragement for you this week is to pause and do a self assesment.  You are worth it!  Stop beating yourself up, please!  Other people are so good at doing that to us, we don't need to do it too......

No comments :

Post a Comment