Image Map

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Can You Say Time Warp?

Time Warp.  That is how I would describe moving "home" after being away for almost 15 years.  It is the darndest thing.



See, in my mind, things are how they were when I left.  The town{s} is the same, the people are the same.  I am the same.  This is where it gets tricky.  What I imagine isn't reality.  The town{s} has changed, people have changed, I have changed {thank goodness!}  BUT, in my mind those things are as they were when I left.  But again, in my mind, I am different.  This is not reality.  Nothing is the same.  I am not the same, people aren't the same, towns aren't the same.  Time marches on, doesn't it? Yes, it does.  So, the fact that I'm not the young teeny bopper I was when I was here is tricky.  {The mirror certainly doesn't tell me I am, lol!}

Recently, I have been struck with how many younger people have recognized me or known me since being back.  I think at least once a week, someone says "Hi Melissa," or "didn't you go to Delphi?" And, I have no idea who they are.  Then I feel bad.  I have a good memory.  I remember names, I remember faces, I remember people.  So, the fact that I don't know who they are makes me feel bad. I was at school the other day and someone from college recognized me.  Once she asked if I was in Purduettes, I knew just who she was. Name and all.  I was excited about that!   Then, shortly after that, I started to think that everyone looked familiar and I should know them!  It's really a trip being back after being away for so long.

The other interesting thing is the places that are so familiar.  I have memories here. Experiences here. Triggers here {ha ha!  Kind of kidding, kind of not}.  It's like an out of body experience really.  I was on campus a few weeks ago.  I haven't been on campus since I was in college, so to be back how many years later with children in a mini van was a big wake up call.  Whoa.  Still kinda reeling from that one.  It's like in my mind, I remember being there in college, so when my body and my reality don't connect with that, I don't know quite what to do with it yet.  It really is bizarre.

Thankfully, people have been very kind and gracious in offering their name and how they know me and I appreciate that.  So, it's been a wild ride being back. Stay tuned for more of our Indiana adventure!

No comments :

Post a Comment