Image Map

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What trips us up?

Have you ever had a broken bone before?  I broke my pinky finger one time in elementary school.  It was in a splint for a bit, then once the finger healed, the splint came off.  Much like a cast, once the bone heals, the splint comes off.  However, what happens immediately after the cast or splint is removed?  We continue to act like the bone is still broken.  I know for me, it took me a while to get used to the idea of my finger being healed, as it had been in a splint for so long I grew accustomed & comfortable with that.  I don't remember how long it took to get used to the idea of being able to bend my finger again, get it wet in the shower again, etc.  But I know I didn't act like it was healed right away.

It's like our dishwasher.  For a few weeks, the top rack has had this issue.  The rack would be lopsided in there & we would have to pop it back into place.  So, every time I used the dishwasher, I got used to popping the rack into place.  The dishwasher repair man came by today & fixed the top rack - hooray!  But, what happened tonight when I was loading the dishwasher?  Yup, I tried to fix the top rack even though it had been fixed.  Which got me thinking about us.....

What areas of our lives has God healed us from or fixed in us that we continue to live like they are still broken?  "Who the Son sets free is free indeed."  {John 8:35}  Why do we not live like we are free?  What trips us up from the freedom that is given {freely}?  What is it about our bondage?  Is it comfortable?  Is it our identity?  Is it a crutch?  It is an excuse?  Fear?  What is holding us back from the true freedom we are all offered?  It is there waiting for us, we just have to receive it & go for it!  {If you have questions about this, please let me know....would love to help if I can.}

No comments :

Post a Comment