Image Map

Friday, March 8, 2013

Here we go...what chaps my hide!

As promised, I said a few days ago I would share what "chaps my hide."  Well, here it is....there are a few, but this one currently has been bugging me.  Our food sources aren't safe!  I know it sounds a little nutty, but when you think about all the junk that goes into most of the foods we eat, no wonder we are an unhealthy, obese nation!  So much of our food has been so processed with chemicals, additives, dyes, etc. & all the nutritional value has been taken out.  It is disgusting.  I am appalled that we can go into a grocery store & buy things that are making us sick & it is legal!  We think that because it is at the grocery store, it is safe. WRONG!

I have been on this journey of clean eating, whole foods, etc. for about a year now, maybe a little longer.  The more I learn the more appalled I am at all of it!  The more I know, the more disgusted I am.  I just read this today - First, let’s define gluten.  Gluten is the protein portion of the wheat kernel.  It is also the hardest protein to digest and process.  Gluten now makes up about 26% of the kernel compared to 3% just 30 years ago, due to the hybridization of wheat. So, when you eat two slices of bread today, it yields about the same gluten equivalent as 17 slices did back in 1980. (source and excellent article)  {Thank you, Jenni Hufford, I borrowed that from your blog!}  

As you may or may not know, Lauren has wheat & dairy allergies.  She also doesn't do well with food dyes.  We have also taken wheat & dairy out of Landons diet & the behavior changes have been telling.  I also recently discovered I have wheat & dairy allergies.  Food that I thought was good for us was actually making us more sick.  {I'm not saying wheat & dairy as a whole are bad....just know where it is coming from & what may have been added to it.}  As a result, I have been making food from scratch, knowing where our food comes from before buying {I get a lot from azurestandard.com, vitacost.com, greenpolkadotbox.com {I think} & the health mart at our local grocery store. 

If the saying "you are what you eat," is true, we are a very unhealthy people.  If you are looking for ways to get started, I encourage checking out JJ Virgin's "The Virgin Diet" book.  It is a great starting place - lots of meal plans, recipes, etc.

Don't even get me started on the amount of sugar in everything......

No comments :

Post a Comment