Image Map

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The disconnect....

Hi all!  So, I've been thinking a lot about our faith & what it means to be a Christian.  Wow, that is a lot of thinking.  But, if being a Christian means being a Christ follower, it means believing His Word is true, right?  And, if you are living a certain way & following someone (Christ), wouldn't you live according to that Word?  It seems to me that it is so easy to get caught up in life & all we have going on that we are not really people of the Word.  Sure, we go to church, maybe Sunday school, might be in a small group, maybe read our Bibles & pray, but are we really living this thing out?  Do we really live like the Bible is true & like we believe it?

A couple of times over the past few weeks, I have been with other believers & noticed this disconnect.  For example, in a prayer meeting, heard someone say "God, if you can."  Wait a minute!  Doesn't God say  He is the I am?  That with Him, ALL things are possible?  Why are we putting Him in a box, asking Him if He can?  Of course He can, He is God!  We can't, but He can!!!  We can ask Him to do it if it is His will & part of His good plan for us, He may chose not to, but He certainly can if it is His will.

The other event was hearing another Christian woman say that diet coke & chocolate is a good diet.  I had to chuckle a little, because I have been there.  I'm convinced God is a holistic God who cares about us & every facet of our lives, including what we eat.  She proceeded to talk about how she couldn't avoid a treat one night.  I have a sweet tooth, so I understand that one, but also know that God has given us self control for our good.  (I'm not trying to sound judgmental here at all, I promise!)  I just am more aware of the disconnect between what the Word says & what we tell ourselves.

My example is with my kids.  For some reason I have a short fuse (I am working on it), so my ability to become angry is something I'm aware of & working on.  However, for me to tell them that God has given them self control & we need to be kind to each other & then go off & yell at them is a disconnect.  It sends them mixed messages.  Much the way we as Christians can send mixed messages.  Either we believe the Bible & try to live according to it, or we don't.  Thoughts?

No comments :

Post a Comment