Image Map

Saturday, December 22, 2012

2012: The Year of the Label

As 2012, draws to a close, I can honestly say I am relieved!  2012 was a rough year for us.  It had it's highs, absolutely, but overall, it was very challenging for our family.  In December 2011, I was diagnosed by my counselor with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).  While this is something commonly associated with war, it can also be caused by other things - loss, abuse, divorce, etc.  I'm sure at some point I will elaborate on that, but that was how 2012 started off.

At first, I was relieved - I finally understood what was going on, why I would think or feel certain ways about certain things, etc.  It was nice to know what was going on.  I have always associated with labels.  For example, in high school, I was "involved" - poms (dance team), show choir, swim team, class officer, etc.  You get the point.  Then, in college, I was a sorority girl - a DG (Delta Gamma).  This was my pattern, I would identify with my label & live in that place.  However, I didn't want to live in the PTSD label!  That is one I didn't want!  But it was always in the back of my mind.  I worked hard with my counselor & processed a lot & a lot of healing took place.  I attribute that to the Holy Spirits work in my life as well as counseling.  But I digress....the labels continue....

Our daughter, who is 4, was recently diagnosed with SPD (sensory processing disorder).  Google it - it's too much to describe right here, but again, another label for our family!  And, another one I didn't want.  I'm thankful God led us to Sioux Falls & we found great care immediately!  In this journey, we also learned Lauren has wheat & dairy allergies, which is helpful to know.  We have been blessed with great providers here who are helping us work with Lauren & the SPD.  It's encouraging to see her getting better.

So now as 2012 is wrapping up, I am ready to be done with these labels & hopeful to see what 2013 has for us!  Onward & upward!

No comments :

Post a Comment