Image Map

Monday, April 27, 2015

Why I Prefer Being Called A Coach!

I get a little annoyed when I hear people say they know a Shakeology "rep," or a Beachbody "distributor," or a "sales person." Eck. Why? Because it's so much MORE than that to me. I feel like the words "rep," "distributor," "sales person," all imply sales. A "one and done" type thing. This is so NOT that for me. I'm a coach. And, I'm proud of that! What does the word coach mean? Well, glad you asked :) I found two definitions that were intriguing ~

1. a person who teaches and trains the members of a sports team and makes decisions about how the team plays during games

2. a large usually closed four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage having doors in the sides and an elevated seat in front for the driver

The first one makes sense, right? Someone who teaches and trains. That's what I do in my online challenge {or accountability} groups. I teach and train. It's sharing information, education, motivation, support, recipes, ideas as well as offering accountability. I gotta tell you, I love the groups. Each one takes on it's own personality and they are so fun! It's like this huge cheering section of new friends encouraging and supporting one another for a common goal. They are simply awesome. No other word to describe it. Something super special happens in those groups for sure!

The second definition baffled me at first, but as I think about it, it also makes sense. In essence, definition two talks about a coach CARRYING people to a location, right? The driver is in an elevated seat up front. Why? To see what's ahead. Why? Because they have been on this road before. Ah ha, so that definition might ring a little more true now, eh? As a coach, I am simply someone who has been in my challengers shoes before and can help carry them to their goals. I provide a means of transportation, if you will, of getting there, of helping them reach their goals. Does that make sense?

So, back to why it irritates me to be called something other than a coach. This is SO not about sales for me. This is about changing lives. This is about helping people. This is about relationships. I'm not going to sell you something and disappear! {Drives me crazy when that happens, BTW. Or when I don't get a thank you note after I've bought something, but that's another topic. } I'm going to continue to support you on your journey, check in with you from time to time, add you to my graduates group where I continue to post things that will help you on your journey. I put my heart and soul into this and to be called a sales person just makes me feel icky, I gotta be honest with you.  I am not just here to sell you something.  Honestly, if I wanted to do that, there are lots of other opportunities out there to do that.  I'm here to support, encourage, motivate, inspire and help you be the best YOU that you can be! You are worth that, your family is worth that. Don't you want that for yourself? If you do and are ready to get in the game, I'd love to be your coach!  So, if it's your time to get off the sidelines and into the game, let me know.  I'd love to make it happen for you! Game on!

No comments :

Post a Comment