Image Map

Monday, July 28, 2014

But I'm Not An Athlete!

It's no secret I have made some life changes with my eating and exercise routines.  I've been pretty open about it and it's been fun to include friends on the journey with me!  Before this change, due to the 21 Day Fix, I would exercise twice/week doing a kdanz class or walking.  I was content with that.  I wasn't seeing any changes in my body, but it was a nice break from the kiddos.  I think there was actually more going on, now that I'm doing something different and something has risen up in me.  You see, I started doing the 21 Day Fix exercises and loved them, so once that program was over, I started TurboFire, which I also love!  It reminds me a lot of the dancing I did when I was younger in dance lessons, POMS, etc.   It's fun to dance around with great music, get a great workout and feel energized!

Imagine my surprise when in the middle of it, the instructor said something that made me go numb.  You know what she said?  Something like "to complete this, you need to think like an athlete."  Well, ok.  I'm not an athlete.  I wasn't an athlete - I was a dancer, I started swimming my senior year, I played tennis for three years, but I wasn't an athlete.  It bothered me.  So, I started to think back to the root of that and why I was bothered by it.  You know what I came up with?  Something that happened in 6th grade!  6th grade, people! Something from that far back was still bothering me today and I didn't realize it.

So, what happened in 6th grade?  I got cut from the volleyball team!  Ouch.  There were just a few gals who got cut and I was one of them.  Apparently, it has bothered me all this time.  It is interesting how I have let something from that far back define me.  It told me who I was - "I'm a dancer."  It told me who I was not - "I am not an athlete."  Really?  I'm going to choose to let one thing like that define me?  Not anymore.  I love this quote.  It's time to let freedom ring, friends!  Stop letting your past, things you have done, things have happened to you define you.  It's not who you are and it doesn't have to be who you are.  So, knock it off and be who you are!  That is freedom, friends.  And it's yours....and mine.


No comments :

Post a Comment