Image Map

Friday, February 27, 2015

What Exercise Has Taught Me About Life

Wow.  This is kind of a deep post.  I've been thinking about it a lot lately, so am ready to share some thoughts on this topic.  Exercise has truly taught me a lot about life.  Let me explain my relationship with exercise to you, so you will have a frame of reference as to where I have been.  In elementary school, I would say I was a pretty sedentary kid.  I don't remember playing sports or anything, was usually one of the last kids picked for the sports team in gym class {Remember that? Ugh.}  In fact, I really enjoyed junk food, Doritos and Coke were my daily after school snack.  Add that to watching t.v. and that's where I was.  In middle school, I became a bit more active with cheerleading.  Didn't make the volleyball team {more rejection}.  I did dance all through school, though, I suppose. But, I don't remember any additional activities during middle school.  In high school, I really kicked it into gear because not only did I do POMS {dance team}, but I also did tennis and my senior year I added on swimming!  WAHOO!  Go me!  Also, during that time I decided I was overweight so used to dance for what seemed like hours, who knows how long it was, at night to burn off the big cookie I ate for lunch.  {Notice my nutrition might be a SLIGHT bit off here?} So, that is my school age experience with exercise.

In college, I lived right across from the co-rec and remember working out several times a week.  I'm not sure what my goal was, but I did enjoy working out.  In fact, I remember very clearly one night, I had some conflict with some friends.  Looking back, I was likely having an anxiety attack because I was short of breath and felt like I needed to escape.  So, off to the gym I went.  That is the first real memory I have of turning to exercise for stress relief.  That was my first semester of college.  Over Christmas break that year, I had jaw surgery where my jaw was wired shut for a few weeks.  I didn't work out during that time.  Once my jaw became unwired, I started to exercise again. Looking back, I'm again not sure what my purpose in exercise was, but I did it.

All through living in the sorority, I was a faithful gym go-er and in the summers, I would exercise by walking.  I still continued to eat poorly though since I knew little about what I put into my body and how it affected me.  Fast forward to life after college....again, joined the local Y in Chicago and worked out faithfully after getting off of work.  A move to Madison, WI for a call to ministry.....again, faithful at working out.  I even did some group fitness classes and enjoyed them. BUT, once I got pregnant, I did not exercise.  I didn't exercise the whole time I was pregnant with Lauren.  I think that is when I took a turn downhill, with exercise, looking back. Once we had her, we would go for regular walks, but that was about it.  Going to the gym with a baby was too hard and those Madison winters....brrr!  Once we had children, going to the gym for me was about my "me time" and utilizing the childcare, nothing more, really.  Just a break.

Fast forward to February 2014 when I did an in home exercise program {the 21 Day Fix}. Wow. That was tough.  I was sweaty.  {I should tell you I don't like to sweat, which I will elaborate on later.}  I was using parts of my body I hadn't used in years, well, ever really.  I was sore in places I didn't know I had muscles.  I was relieved when the 30 minute video was finished!  I did it.  I had a small taste of completing something and I liked it! The pain felt good.  I liked feeling like I was going to get results.  I liked how I felt about myself.  It was exhilirating.

The long story short of that 21 Day Fix is I became a coach and have continued to exercise 5-6 days/week faithfully over the last year.  I've learned what type of exercise I enjoy, what type I don't enjoy.  I've learned what exercise does for me and it is amazing. It boosts my mood, changes my outlook, burns off stress and makes me feel a sense of accomplishment.  So, I'd like to share with you some lessons exercise has taught me about life:

* I don't really like to be pushed outside of my comfort zone.  Eek.  Exercise pushes me. Truth be told, I don't really like exercise.  I like what it does for me, how it makes me feel and the results, but I can't say I'm a fitness fanatic or anything like that.


* I don't like messy things, or to be messy, thus the I don't like to sweat comment.  True story, I get up daily, shower, put on my make up, do my hair and THEN exercise after that! Wow, huh?  I wonder if this is part of not liking to be pushed outside of my comfort zone?  Being messy is for sure that to me.

* I am a driven, yet lazy person at the same time.  I am driven to do the exercise, because I like the feeling of accomplishment, but I am somewhat lazy during the exercise. EEK!  I know I could be more effective if I chose to be.

* I am impatient.  Truth be told, yet again, I can't wait for the exercise to be finished.  I watch the clock like a hawk waiting for it to be done.

* I lack focus.  I have been known to actually check things/do things/multi task during the breaks on the video.  Oye.

* I don't like to be interrupted.  I have learned that childrens shows are really not 30 minutes, because Landon ALWAYS comes in before my 30 minutes are up.  I just want to finish and not get ANOTHER show for him.

* I am disciplined and when I set my mind to something, I will do it.  I can be focused when I choose to be.

* For me, exercise is a wonderful, awesome, incredible form of stress relief.  It is my "me time."  It gives me the energy I need to be the best wife and mom I can be.  It is also showing me the areas I can grow in for sure {see the list above!}  

* I have learned I am stronger than I ever thought I could be.  I am capable of doing things I never thought possible.

* I have learned the power of self talk, what you tell yourself, what you put into your mind affects you and your outlook.  If I'm in an exercise saying "I can't do this anymore," do you think I will finish strong?  NOPE.  But, if I say "I can do this.  I'm stronger today than I was yesterday," I will likely finish.  I've learned how to be nice to myself.


* I am learning how to become the type of person I always wanted to be, but didn't think was possible.  It's been pretty powerful to overcome some roadblocks I've had.



For me, the benefits outweigh the other things I've listed.  It is something I have to discipline myself to do daily, as with other things in life. There is always going to be something you don't want to do/don't have to do/don't like to do, but sometimes you just need to DO IT. Exercise is teaching me how to push through and do that in all areas of life.

So, now it's your turn....what has exercise taught YOU about life?



No comments :

Post a Comment