Image Map

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Expectations

Can we please just talk about expectations for a sec here?  I was talking with a friend recently and realized that expectations play such a vital role in our lives.   Yet, we might not realize it.

For example, when someone tells you they will do something, do you EXPECT they will do it?  I do.  I'm the type of person who when I say I will do something, I do.  As a result, I EXPECT others to do the same.  When the expectations are unmet, that is when frustration and hurt can enter the picture. Unmet expectations.

Sometimes, I will tell people what they can expect of me, and in return, what the expectation is of them.  This works well for adults and children.  It appears to me that a lot of frustration in life and in relationships are caused by miscommunication and/or unmet expectations.  Think about the last time you experienced frustration...what was the cause?

The expectations may or may not have been communicated, which can also cause the problem.  This seems to happen a lot in marriage.  Have you ever expected your spouse to be able to read your mind?  I have. And, truth be told, it's not fair to either of us.

Anyone relate to what I'm sharing here?

My encouragement to you today is this ~ be clear with your expectations; being upfront and honest is never a bad thing.  Treat others the way you want to be treated. Communicate.  


Have a great day!


No comments :

Post a Comment