Image Map

Sunday, May 1, 2016

May, and Freedom?!


This morning, I woke up and realized it was May 1. May...it's an interesting month, for sure. It's the end of many things ~ school, some students end their high school careers and graduate, the end of cold weather {hopefully!}; it's also the start of many things ~ summer, a new phase for seniors who have graduated, the start of warmer weather. For me, May is the beginning of summer. {Let me be honest, summer is based on when school is out with this current season of life we are in.}

However, this has not always been something I look forward to. In fact, it's something that has brought much dread. When my kiddos were little {before preschool}, it didn't matter too much...most days were the same, there was no real schedule or structure as there was no school, it was home all day with mom and whatever we had planned. Granted, we did some things, it's not like we sat at home all day, but there wasn't much structure to our days. {Which looking back as I type this might have been a small struggle for me! I thrive on order, structure and consistency.} However, once we started preschool, that gave us some structure with our days. Then, when summer came, it was gone. That was hard for me. Here I was, this mama of littles who didn't have a lot of tools in her parenting toolbox, home alone with no structure. Recipe for disaster. But, God sustained us, thankfully!

But, this morning, I realized how excited and ready for summer I am! This is huge progress, friends! It's made me look at why that is and what is different about this year verses years past. Part of it is what I mentioned above ~ the lack of structure, schedule {this summer we have lots of fun things planned that we are all excited for, which helps!}. Another part I think is the age our kids are at. They are at an age where they want to be with you and have fun with you, yet they are also old enough to do fun things like swim lessons, camps, etc. I think this is my "sweet spot" of parenting....where they need you, but not for everything. There is some independence there as well.

Another factor is me. Where I am at ~ spiritually, mentally, emotionally. {This might be the biggest factor, to be honest. My mentor always says "when parents get well, the kids get well." This has been so true in our home. This morning during my quiet time, I was reflecting on what is different. Well, God has healed me! That's a huge part of it. The other part of it is my nutrition has changed. I'm no longer eating chemicals and artificial foods that were doing who knows what to my body, but also my brain! There is a HUGE connection between what we eat and how it affects us ~ physically, of course, but also mentally and emotionally. {If you're unsure, check out the book "Brain Maker," by David Perlmutter, MD.} Proof is in the pudding they say ~ I can tell when I've had something I shouldn't have.....by how I act, how I think and how I feel. It's gotten to a point where my family notices too.

My struggle this morning, though, was how much is just God and His goodness healing me vs what I've done? I believe He has given me a part in this, and what He spoke to my heart this morning is that it's a partnership. He did His part, while I did mine. Just like the crippled man in John 5:7-9 ~ "The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me." 8 Jesus said to him, "Get up, pick up your pallet and walk." 9 Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and began to walk."

What happened there?  The crippled man needed some help.  Jesus told him to "get up, pick up your pallet and walk!"  Jesus told him to DO something!  There was action required on this mans' behalf....he had to DO something.  The result?  He was healed! That's what God revealed to me this morning....I was like the crippled man, needing to take action.  Jesus was there, ready, willing and able to do His part, BUT I needed to do mine as well.  It makes me wonder how many people miss out on things because they aren't taking action?  God is a God of action...the first two letters in GOspel are GO, as are the first two letters in GOd!  I think that means something, don't you?


The moral of my story is this ~ God has healed me, and that required me to take action and do something on my part.  Because of this, He has given me freedom!  I'm no longer in the place I was two or even three years ago....the chains no longer hold me back, no more bondage, no more depression, no more darkness.  This has changed my life! {And my family's, for that matter.}  The moral of the story for YOU is this ~ what is something God wants to free you from? Pray about it, ask Him and be willing to DO what He tells you to.  It's a partnership and for it to work, we have to do our part. Someone once said "doing what God called you to is obedience, but NOT doing what He called you to is disobedience." Truth right there.

Is there anything I can do for you?  If so, let me know.  Happy to pray for you, listen, talk.....He wants you to be free, and I do too!

No comments :

Post a Comment