Image Map

Sunday, April 7, 2013

I love the volume you have....

Ok, so this is starting off as a post about hair, but I promise it won't end up being about hair.  It is no secret that I have very fine, thin hair.  I have a lot of it, but it is all very thin & fine, thus lacking in volume.  In college, I copied a girls hairstyle that involved teasing a part of the hair at the top of the head.  Sadly, I have continued to do that for oh, 13 years.  Lately, I have finally realized this style isn't working for me.  I'm not sure it did then, either, but oh well....I have been envious of women with similar styles with lots of volume & body.  So much so, that I even messaged a friend on fb after she posted a pic of her darling, voluminous hair.  Here is what I sent her: 

"This is kind of random, but here goes. I LOVE your hair! I love the volume you have....how in the world do you do that? Are there certain products you use or they way you style it? Would love to know what works for you, it is adorable!!! "


She kindly replied & told me the products she used.  Shortly after, I met with another woman whose hair is similar to the friend I wrote.  Upon being able to see the hairstyle in person, I realized there was a part of my technique missing.  You see, I just took a small chunk of hair & teased it.  The real key to voluminous hair is teasing it at the roots & kind of all over the crown of the tead, not just the small patch as I had done.  Once I realized this, I had the desired result!  Ta da!

So, what does this post on my hair have to do with anything?  A lot.... I have been thinking about this application in life.  See, I had been doing something & not getting the desired result.  So, I kept doing it & being frustrated with my outcome.  Had I sat down & thought more about this or maybe even seen the woman with the voluminous hair in person I could have realized what I was doing wrong.  How many times in life do we keep doing something & not getting our desired result?  A small tweak to what we are doing would likely change the outcome.  For me, a small revision in the way I was teasing would have done the trick.  What is it for you?

I have also deduced from this that sometimes we are focusing on the wrong things.  For example, had I focused on teasing more hair than my little patch, it would have produced a different look.  I was focused on this one little bit, instead of the whole head of hair.  Where do we do this in life?  Do we focus on the one or two things that are really bad, annoying, irritating, overwhelming, frustrating, etc. so much that we miss the great things right in front of us?  I have lived much of my life this way & am striving to focus more on the positive & what I do have, rather than what is negative or what I don't have.  That kind of thinking can change your life for the better!  Focusing on the blessings & the positives far outweigh the negatives, I promise!  

No comments :

Post a Comment